1. What’s “Coming Out On Top”?
The first gay dating sim/visual novel from Obscurasoft, Coming Out on Top follows college student Mark Matthews as he busts out of the closet and engages in all manner of adventure, all the while meeting a multitude of hot guys. Whether he does the right thing, wrong thing, stupid thing, or funny thing is up to you. Beard and body hair options available for all the guys. It’s available for purchase!
YOU MUST BE 18 OR OVER TO PURCHASE THIS GAME DUE TO SEXUAL CONTENT.
2. Can I Play the Demo?
Yes. Download it here.
You need to be at least 18 to play it. It’s not the kind of game you want to play with your grandmother in the room. Unless she’s like, into that kind of thing.
3. Questions About the Current Game
- BMT Micro Doesn’t Take My Card/PayPal/Amazon. I’ll be trying to add other vendors as soon as I can. Apologies for the inconvenience, it’s tough to find any vendors who deal with adult games AND offer a wide variety of payment options.
- Where Can I Get Walkthroughs? I’ll post one eventually, but it’s going to be slow while I’m in the midst of fixing bugs, patching the game and working on Kickstarter rewards. (One place you can find some spoilers and hints is here, other than in the comments, is at http://www.reddit.com/r/gaymers/comments/2oyahu/coming_out_on_top_now_available_for_purchase/.)
- What about buying Kickstarter Rewards if I wasn’t a backer? You’ll be able to purchase the ‘Raunchy Tell-All Art Book?’ in 2015 though I don’t have a date set for it yet!
- Gallery of Screenshots. Coming Out On Top DID have a gallery but I had to disable it because it did not play nicely with the hair mod. I’ll try to release a working version in the next update or so, along with the other bug fixes. In the mean time, you can use ‘S’ to take a screenshot anytime during the game. It will save it to your game folder.
- Bugs. Please send your bug reports to email@example.com. So far reports include Ian following you after a party and Phil’s route crashing at a certain option, and other minor bugs. Will be working on getting out an update in the next few days.
4. Is This One of Those Pornographic Flash Games?
No. Though it’s got explicit and uncensored sexual content, it also has a loooot of story and dialogue. If you’re looking for a porn game, you’re going to be really disappointed.
Imagine a graphic novel that allows you to make decisions that will affect the story.
And yes, the censor bars are removed in the full game.
5. What Sort of System Do I Need to Play This?
A computer running Windows, Mac (10.6 or higher), or Linux.
6. What About Steam? Or iOS? Or Android?
Because of the erotic content in the game, it’s not going to happen any time soon. Please remind the people at iOS or Steam that if the public can handle gruesomely violent video games, they can probably handle illustrated pictures of people having sex, thanks!
Not sure about Android yet.
7. Can I Still Contribute to Your Kickstarter Campaign?
Thank you for asking, but the funding period ended over a year ago! I would love it if you bought the game though, and spread the word about it to as many people as you can! :)
8. Is This A Yaoi or Bara Game?
If by yaoi or bara you mean a game focused on gay male relationships, yes. If you mean a Japanese game with anime art and/or seme/uke relationships, no.
9. Why Are There Not More Body Types?
When I started this project I found there were already quite a few Japanese games with bara (heavier/muscular) guys and yaoi (slimmer built) guys. In other words, as crazy as it sounds, I didn’t see a whole of guys who actually look like Mark, Ian, etc.
Unfortunately, I had no clue this game would attract as many players as it has, with a such a wide diversity of tastes.
I’ll be adding more dateable guys through future add-ons. Even though they won’t be full-fledged relationships, there should be a lot more variety.
But yes, in terms of the existing core game, I concur it’s unable to cater to specific demographics.
10. You’re A Woman. This Game Seems Like It Should Be Made By A Man. A Gay Man.
You’re probably right. I actually would have loved it if a gay man made a full-fledged, Western gay dating sim before I started this project. The fact is, nobody had bothered to do so. If they had, I certainly wasn’t able to find that game after fruitless searches. So here we are!
A lot of people continue to be surprised this was written by a woman. (Hey, I do my research.) I also happen to think our world would be a little sadder if we couldn’t write outside of ourselves. You have plenty of gay men creating things for and about women from a woman’s perspective (I’m looking at you, dude responsible for Sex in The City). I respect anyone who can do that. But you know what, I’ll let the game speak for itself.
I do rely on a lot of feedback from my testers, in a sincere effort to make sure nothing is “off.” Please feel free to play the demo and send me your criticisms. I appreciate all feedback, good or bad, since I’m always striving to make the game better.
11. The Game Is Hilarious/Fun/Awesome/Hot, etc. and I Love You.
I love you too!